The Handicraft Studio's Blog
8 Amazing Historical Facts About Linen
DID YOU KNOW THESE AMAZING HISTORICAL FACTS ABOUT LINEN...
1) Dried flax fibers dated to 36,000 years ago have been found in a Greek cave.
2) When the tomb of the Pharaoh Ramses II, who died in 1213 BC, was discovered in 1881, the linen wrappings were in a state of perfect preservation after more than 3000 years
3) When the tomb of Tutankhamen was opened, the linen curtains were found to be intact.
4) In ancient Mesopotamia, it was used mainly by the wealthier class of the society, including priests.
5) In 1923, the German city Bielefeld issued banknotes printed on linen.
6) The earliest records of an established linen industry are 4,000 years old, from Egypt
7) Linen was sometimes used as a form of currency in ancient Egypt
8) Linen fabric has been used for table coverings, bed coverings and clothing for centuries.